2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM)
August 15 - August 18
15 – 18 August 2019
Hobart is located 42 degrees South of the Equator level with Christchurch, NZ.
Hobart is the 2nd oldest capital city in Australia.
Tasmania oozes history of colonial penal settlement throughout as well as unique attractions in wildlife and culinary delights.
August is Winter in Hobart –it can be very cold and wet OR it can be glorious winter days of bright sunshine and no wind.
Visiting Tasmania to make a trip of it
If you want to have a good look around and want to make a decent trip out of it it is recommended you allow 2 – 3 weeks.
Be prepared for cold weather, great food and spectacular scenery.
Tasmanian experiences are unlike anywhere else in Australia.
Visiting Tasmania for the AGM period only
If you just want to come for the AGM period only then you can still get to see quite a lot during the four day period.
Thu 15 Aug:
- Unless arriving later – arrive in Hobart and settle in to your accommodation – own arrangements
- Welcome drinks from 1500 at the Doctor Syntax Hotel, located at 139 Sandy Bay Road, Sandy Bay
- The Syntax has a restaurant (menu) for those who would like a meal in between catching up with old friends
- Stay on or move into Hobart to continue the day / night
Fri 16 Aug:
- No formal/organised activities. Sightseeing own arrangements – Mt Wellington, MONA, Constitution Docks, the Shot Tower, Richmond Village
- Evening dinner –own arrangements
Sat 17 Aug:
- Salamanca Markets and brunch in Salamanca Square – own arrangements
- 1030 – Tour Tasmania Military Museum
- 1530 – 1545- arrive at Sandy Bay Bowls and Community Club
- Address 16 Margaret Street, Sandy Bay
- 1600h – 1700h AGM to be held
- Informal photo opportunity and pre-dinner imbibing if that is your desire
- 1830 Dinner
- There is no longer a working kitchen at the Bowls Club but there are dining facilities (i.e. tables and chairs etc)
- We will have Coast to Coast “The Golden Roast” looking after us following the AGM.
- The cost for the dinner will be paid for on the night by attendees.
- Cost is expected to be $30 @ head; cash only (please) will be collected by our Treasurer
- Bar will be in operation from around 1500h until closing time appx but NLT 2300h.
- May close earlier depending on numbers and time.
- Bar takes cash and EFTPOS for drinks only – strictly no cash out on the night.
- Hop from the bowls club into the nightlife following the dinner
Sun 18 Aug:
- Possible memorial service Hobart Cenotaph (TBC)
- Lunch – Recovery session (own arrangements)
- Commence return to home travel or tour Tasmania under own arrangements
Administration and Logistics
- Fly in to Hobart and hire a car OR
- Bring your own car on the Spirit of Tasmania (Melbourne – Devonport) and drive down to Hobart
- Plenty of accommodation near the AGM venue with our host negotiating AGM rate specials
- Come earlier or stay for the full experience
- Work the South and then circumnavigate clockwise.
Some websites to whet your appetite:
Where to go and what to do
Where to stay – the first two offering discount to AGM attendees
“YOU CAN FIND DINOSAURS DOWN HERE IN TASSIE”